Managing data as it's being collected
Whether you are using existing datasets or generating new data, it’s good to think about data management as you begin to acquire your data. If you have an effective data management plan, now is the time to put it to use. If you don’t, it’s never too late to develop one.
Questions to answer now that will help with your data later:
- Is there clear documentation about data management practices for the project?
- Are you sure that everyone on the team understands how to work with the data as it comes in? This can include:
File organization, versioning, naming conventions
Backup and storage strategies
Processes for checking and reviewing data as it is collected
- Who will have access to the data, and how?
- What level of security will my data require?
- Are there data use agreements that impact how the data can be accessed and stored?